Are you looking for the Best Electric Breast Pumps out of hundreds of top models?. Then Don’t buy a Electric Breast Pumps before reading the reviews and buying guide. Compare and Buy the best Electric Breast Pumps that suit your needs.
Are you a busy new mom, or does natural breastfeeding make you uncomfortable? If so, then an electric breast pump can be a vital piece of technology. These pumps are made out of high-quality, baby-safe materials that are of a durable and will offer value for many years to come, and they are able to extract milk quickly, quietly, and efficiently without sacrificing the safety or comfort of the user. If you’re in the market for a quality, well-made pump that can be used at your convenience anywhere, then you should definitely check out the following list of 10 top reviewed electric breast pumps.
Latest Best Electric Breast Pumps
Last update on 2020-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Breast flow Memory Pump from The First Years
Made out of durable, high-quality plastic, the first on our list of digital breast pumps is both an advanced and user-friendly piece of technology that is meant to be used every day. It is also very affordable, and can be obtained either online or at almost any reputable hospital. This digital breast pump features a large, backlit screen that is easy to see in all types of lighting, and it allows you to track times and amounts for up to 10 extraction sessions. It also allows you to control the exact volume of milk delivered, and is compatible with virtually all baby bottle types. Even if you’ve been disappointed by digital breast pumps in the past, you can rest assured in the value of The First Years’ Breast flow Memory Pump.
Bellema Single Electric Portable Mango plus Breast Pump
If you have been looking for a digital breast pump which will allow you safely and easily store breast milk while traveling, then you definitely need to check out this product by Bellema. Compact, lightweight and battery-powered, this portable pump has earned its spot on our list of the top 10 best reviewed electric breast pumps of 2018 because it offers such a great value for just a couple bucks. Made out of durable, high-quality plastic, this pump is baby-safe, BPA-free, and preserves all of the milk’s nutrients. But this pump is not only good for baby, but also good for mom; it features soft pads made of silicon, and it works in two phases—stimulation and extraction—to ensure that the experience is always comfortable, fast, and efficient. It also features an easy-to-see LCD screen and 9 settings for adjusting suction power. This pump is approved by the FDA and is backed up with a limited money-back guarantee that’s good for a year.
The First Years Breast Pump (Double Electric)
As The First Years’ second contribution to our list of the top 10 best reviewed electric breast pumps of 2018, this pump is used by first-time moms and baby-veterans alike because of its affordability, user-friendliness, and convenience. It is compact, lightweight, and portable, with a stylish storage bag that allows for easy travel that is also discrete. This pump is easy to put together and quiet so as to not draw attention, making it perfect while staying in hotels. It also features adjustable levels of suction and specially designed pads, which allow or a tight, comfortable fit and a hands-free use that is ideal for multi-tasking—sure to make life easier for busy, on-the-go moms.
Bellema Double Electric Melon Breast Pump
In a second contribution to our list of the top 10 best reviewed electric breast pumps of 2018, digital breast pump by Bellema is very quiet, travel-ready, and made out of durable materials that are BPA-free, approved of by the FDA, and easy to clean. It features a double-breasted design with soft pads made out of silicon that ensure comfort, as well as a two-phase pumping system that first stimulates and then extracts. This digital pump is also programmable, with 25 different settings and the ability to remember saved settings. Each pump also comes with a set of tubes, four bottles for storing milk, two bases for the bottles, a set of nipples, and an adapter, as well as a limited money-back guarantee from the manufacturer that’s good for a year.
Nibble Portable Double Electric Hospital Grade Breast Pump
The Nibble Double-Breasted Electric Pump is a digital breast pump that is made out of materials that are a durable BPA-free and baby-friendly, and is specially designed for those mothers who will use it every day. Sophisticated yet very user-friendly, it and has a double-breasted design, with soft pads made out of silicon that ensure a tight fit hands-free use while causing no skin irritation. It is also very silent, so that you can use it anywhere without anyone knowing or being disturbed. The Nibble Double Electric Breast Pump also features a big LCD screen and can either be run on batteries or plugged into the wall.
Philips AVENT Comfort Double Electric Breast Pump
Manufactured by a company that has reputation for high-quality baby products and accessories, this digital breast pump is one of the most-bought pumps on our list of the top 10 best reviewed electric breast pumps of 2018. Meant to be used on a daily basis, this pump is designed to optimize comfort for the user, featuring soft pads made of silicon that extract milk without causing irritation, as well as an adjustable, low, middle, or high extraction rate. It is also durable, constructed from materials which are BPA-free and baby-safe, and has a lightweight, portable design that is very discreet—perfect for moms on the go. This digital breast pump is backed up by a 2-year limited warranty from the manufacturer.
Spectra Baby 3.3 Pound USA S2 Single / Double Breast Pump
This digital breast pump saves you time by extracting milk from either one or both breasts using a quiet, efficient, and powerful motor that allows you to adjust the strength of its suction, as well as soft pads that prevent your skin from becoming irritated. This pump is light—weighing about 3.3 lbs—and is made out of a plastic that is BPA-free and baby-safe. And, if hygiene is a major concern for you, the unique design of this particular digital breast pump ensures that it is vacuum sealed, and therefore has a lower risk of becoming contaminated. It also has a timer, a built-in nightlight, and a long-lasting, energy-efficient battery.
Medela Pump Advanced In-Style Model # 57081 Breast Pump
This is a digital breast pump kit for beginners, and therefore doesn’t require any previous skill, although it is used by first-time moms and baby-veterans alike. It is made out of durable, high-grade plastic that is BPA-free and baby-safe. Highly recommend by healthcare professionals as well as by parents, it has an efficient, two-phase pumping technique that first stimulates the breast and then extracts the milk, thus increasing output by a full 18%. This pump is also hands-free, allowing you to multitask, and has an adjustable extraction speed.
Medela Pump Advanced in Style Breast Pump
In second place on our list of the 10 beast reviewed digital breast pumps of 2018 is another model from Medela. Made in the USA, this budget-friendly digital breast pump operates in two phase—first stimulating the breast and then extracting the milk—and also features soft silicon pads that measure a full 24mm, to ensure that you are always comfortable. It is manufactured from durable materials and features holders to help prevent spills, plus a battery and power adapter. All this comes in a discreet canvas bag for easy transportation.
Simple Wishes X-Small-Large Hands-Free Pink Breast pump
Number 1 of the 10 best reviewed electric breast pump models of 2018, and also one of the bestselling models online, is the Hands-Free Breast Pump Bra. Made of a combination of cotton (83%) and spandex (17%), this bra is durable and, along with adjustable straps that use Velcro, is very comfortable to wear. It is also inexpensive, user-friendly, and machine-washable.
Breast Pump Buying Guide
With a whole range of different breast pumps available on the market and with a different set of individual needs, buying an ideal breast pump is often quite a challenge. You need to know exactly what you need, but on the other hand, you also need to know what you are getting with a particular breast pump. The goal of this guide is clean up any potential clouding in your mind and to ultimately help you bring the right decision.
Why do I need a breast pump in the first place?
There is no doubt that the best way to get rid of the breast milk is breastfeeding, but issues can arise quite frequently, and in such occasions, breast pump jumps to the rescue. To be more specific, the reasons include:
- It increases the milk production – It is a common (and proven) fact that breast pumps effectively increase the milk production. When they are combined with breastfeeding practices, the result is even better. Other than the fact that they can also reestablish the milk production in the first couple of weeks, they can also stimulate the production in adoptive mothers as well, which is really awesome.
- They maintain stable levels of milk production even when there is no breastfeeding at all – You don’t need to abandon breastfeeding by yourself, sometimes it has to be done due to various other reasons (an illness, mastitis, or various different suckling problems, for example). Breast pumps can then be used as a perfect supplement as they are able to keep the milk production flowing until you are able to breastfeed again.
- Your baby will be able to get its milk even when you are not around – Thanks to this modern addition, you don’t need to be around to effectively feed your baby. You can store your milk in a freezer and/or a fridge and give someone else a right to use it when the feeding time arrives. Just make sure that the milk is correctly stored so that its original nutritional values are preserved. A good number of breast pumps are originally made with exactly this purpose in mind, so the common features like discreet carry bags, battery functionality, and a swift double pumping are the end result of this need.
- It prevents excessive milk production and the oversupply in general – It is very common that the milk supplies end up being overflowed, especially after birth! Every mother that dealt with this knows how terrible the pain can be and what struggles she needs to pass through to get a relief. Luckily for you, breast pumps are highly effective in removing the excessive milk supplies and retaining the regular flow(s).
- They effectively stimulate the “let go” reflex and they can also remove flat and/or inverted nipples – It is a confirmed fact that the usage of breast pumps is highly effective in stimulating the baby’s “let go” reflex while, at the same time, they can remove any flat or inverted nipple with the same amount of success as well.
- It is a good alternative for breastfeeding – This is already explained (and implied), but the best appropriate alternative for breastfeeding is a breast pump exclusively. No matter if you decided to stop with breastfeeding due to medical advises or you just decided to stop yourself, a breast pump will make sure that your baby is still being fed properly and sufficiently. Not to mention that it will keep your milk supplies at a steady flow, so an eventual return to breastfeeding would be much smoother than it would be following the weaning.
- It is easy to be combined with other feeding practices as well – While the breast pump alone will provide all the necessary nutrition, it can also be successfully combined with other feeding practices too (breastfeeding included, of course!). The most common combination (and the original combination as well, I might add) is a mix of breastfeeding and the bottle feeding. If this is something you prefer, then I’d recommend that you first establish a regular breastfeeding schedule and only then you can add the second part as well.
Types of breast pumps various types
Speaking of the types, there are 3 of them in offer – manual, electric retail, and electric hospital grade. The electric retail breast pump is designed to be used by one single person only, while the electric hospital grade is meant to be used by multiple different users. In the following lines, I will dedicate a bit more attention to each of these types.
- Manual breast pumps – This is the simplest solution on the market. It doesn’t need any power source to run, and it is fully run by hand-work. It works by simply moving or pulling the handle in a single continuous direction. You need to hold the breast pump with one of your hands, while the other is supposed to pump the pressure/flow. Manual breast pumps are much slower compared to the other two types, but they still do the job very well, and for a single mother you don’t need anything more, to be honest.
- Electric retail breast pumps – Although this is another type designed for a single user only, it is a more advanced type than the classic manual breast pumps and they are often more effective as well. What makes them more powerful is the fact that they do have a power source and are run on batteries, which generates even better results than the manual breast pumps. There is also an option for both single and double pumping.
- Electric hospital grade pumps – The most powerful type on the market is certainly this one. They are designed to be used by multiple different users and are regularly used in hospitals and/or other health institutions. Many health professionals tend to recommend them as well. There is also a support for both single and double pumping, but you also need a specific sterile pumping kit if you are intending to use this type properly.
Important factors to look out for before purchasing your breast pump
Why should I get a breast pump?
Breast pump is proven to be the best alternative for breastfeeding and it will keep your milk supplies high and going all the time. If you need some extra reassurance, you can always consult your doctor or another healthcare professional.
Manual or electric pumps?
Other than the fact that they are intended to be used by a single user only, manual pumps are also quite slower and less powerful than their electric counterparts. Electric pumps are certainly more expensive, but they have a bigger speed as well, and they can be used by more than just one single user. It all comes down to your own personal needs really, but objectively, the electric pumps are better.
If we compare the speed of these pumps, we can conclude that electric pumps are slightly faster compared to the manual ones. In a same matter, double pumping is twice as fast compared to the single pumping because both breasts are pumped simultaneously.
How often should I use the pump?
It is essential to consider how much and how often do you plan to use your breast pump. Do you plan to use it frequently or not so much? This is very important to clear up before you buy a breast pump. If speed is the “end all, be all” for you, then you should certainly avoid getting a manual pump, because they are considerably slower than the electric ones. On the other hand, electric pumps offer a better overall performance and they are more suitable in the long run. In case you decide to buy one of these, I can suggest checking out Nursing Angel. All the models except Medela Mini breast pump are good and viable high-quality solutions worth checking out.
Should my breast pump be able to provide a way to control the pump speed?
Ideally, yes. This feature varies depending on the model and/or the manufacturer, but you should ideally aim for a model where you will be able to determine the flow speed so that the milk is pumped quickly enough and at a stable pace.
The basic rule applies here as well – the more you are willing to pay, the better breast pump you will get. My advice is to certainly avoid spending tons of money on models that are highly unnecessary, but you will certainly want to get a good and reliable solution. Spending your money on very cheap models won’t bring you much, as you will end up having low-quality pump that will be a pain whenever you need to use it, but getting a more expensive model is something that will certainly pay-off in the end.
Warranties and additional support
It is absolutely a must to have your technical support available and ready to solve any type of issue that you may have. Make sure to buy your breast pump on a place where such support is guaranteed and where people are knowledgeable and willing to help. A warranty feature is nothing less important either, so don’t even consider buying a breast pump if it has no warranty!
If I would need to recommend a retailer, then that would be Nursing Angel again. From my own personal experience, and from what many other people say, this is by far the best place to purchase your breast pump, as not only that there is a warranty, the support team is top-notch and they are ready to answer your inquiry within moments if needed!
Bisphenol A (or BPA, in short) is a controversial chemical found in some pieces of plastic and it is stated that it is potentially dangerous as it may cause various different hormonal issues. There may be other problems associated with it, but so far they aren’t known. Luckily for all of us, it is a common agreement for the manufacturers to not use BPA in their products, but it is still found here and there so you want to double check everything before buying your breast pump. It is needed for all parts to be free of BPA, not just some of them.
And again, I am going to play an advocate and recommend Nursing Angel, as all of their products are 100% BPA free.
Obviously, nothing less important is the size of the nipple itself. The breast shield has to match the exact size of the nipple at all times. If that is not the case, you will end up having pain and seizures, and your overall milk supply will be below average. There are usually the standard, “default” values for both of these, but of course….not everything falls to this category. Perhaps the best way of ensuring that you don’t end up messing this up is to make sure that you can manually adjust the size of the breast shield and set it yourself. This way you will prevent a scenario where the nipple won’t fit the size of the mentioned breast shield.
Luckily for you (c’mon, we all hate cleaning, admit it!), the cleaning process is smooth and easy and it shouldn’t really pose any problem. All you have to do is to use a hot and (preferably) also soapy water with an additional rinsing of new hot water and using an air dryer for the end. But if all that is too much for you, there are many alternatives that you can consider (using a dishwasher or a plug-in sterilizer, boiling, etc.). It is also preferable to always check out and consult your instruction manual, as some models may not support certain cleaning procedures.
What about the spare parts?
Well, it’s really easy – if you need a quick replacement for some of the malfunctioning parts, and you have no spare alternatives at your sight – you’re totally out of luck! Make sure that the preferred model offers some extra spare parts before you make your purchase.
For the end…
Nursing Angel retailer (that I mentioned several times in this guide already) has 2 exclusive brands in their offer – Medela and Ameda. Both of these solutions showcase amazing quality, and they are probably the best solutions you can find on the market, so I can once again recommend Nursing Angel as the place where you should look up for your breast pump!
And, once again, take note that the manual breast pumps are intended to be used by only one single user and it supports single pumping only, where you will be the one will be doing the entire job.