Where humans are, there garbage will, undoubtedly, collect. Proper garbage disposal is, thus, highly essential to keep our home and surroundings clean and to ensure a healthy, safe atmosphere for you and your family. A reliable garbage disposing machine will efficiently purge your sink of debris and other offensive wastes and with no leftovers decomposing in your vicinity, pests, insects and animals will be effectively kept away. This useful machine works predominantly to grind and flush leftovers to your house sewage system, making your sanctuary free of harmful bacteria and other such substances.
Mentioned below are the best 10 models of garbage disposals that you should have a look at before you decide on making a purchase.
Table of Contents
- 1 Waste King’s L-8000 Garbage Disposal
- 2 InSinkErator’s 1/2 HP Badger5 Food Waste Disposer
- 3 Waste King’s Legend Series L-2600 Garbage Disposal
- 4 InSinkErator 3/4 HP Evolution Compact Garbage Disposer
- 5 Waste King’s 1/2 HP Legend Series L-1001 Garbage Disposer
- 6 InSinkErator’s 1.0 HP Evolution Excel Garbage Disposer
- 7 Waste King’s 3/4 HP Legend Series L-3300 Garbage Disposer
- 8 Waste King’s Knight 1.0 Disposer A1SPC Garbage Disposal
- 9 Waste King’s 1/3 HP L-111 (Legend Series)
- 10 Waste King 1 HP Legend Series 9980
- 11 Garbage Disposal Buying Guide
Waste King’s L-8000 Garbage Disposal
An effective device to free your house of leftovers from meals, this machine invariably keeps away rodents and pests. With an ultra-high 2800 RPM speed and a 1 horsepower motor, the device is equipped with upmarket swivel impellers made of stainless steel, thus enhancing durability. Noise insulation is also provided for the device’s grinding gears to minimize noise levels when the machine is working, and a splash guard incorporated allows for easy cleaning and maintenance of the disposal machine.
InSinkErator’s 1/2 HP Badger5 Food Waste Disposer
An effectual waste eliminator that keeps insects and pests well away from your house and surrounding areas, this machine is highly dependable and well-functioning with long-lasting, powerful induction motors and a robust galvanized steel design. The best feature of this waste disposal would be its limited two-year warranty which covers parts and labor with free-of-charge house calls.
Waste King’s Legend Series L-2600 Garbage Disposal
Another highly powerful model from Waste King’s superior line, backed by a high-speed 2600 RPM motor, this machine rids you of leftovers within seconds. A septic-safe product that makes the unit eco-friendly, this machine allows for easy installation and simple wash, owing to its dishwasher-safe components. The model also features a steel stopper, detachable splash guard, stainless steel body and sleeve-type bearings.
InSinkErator 3/4 HP Evolution Compact Garbage Disposer
Equipped with futuristic, advanced technology, this InSinkErator model has a soundseal mechanism for noise insulation and to prevent vibration of machine parts while running, thereby producing minimal noise while at work. The machine is also integrated with multi-grind technology that effortlessly and swiftly grinds wastes.
Waste King’s 1/2 HP Legend Series L-1001 Garbage Disposer
This highly popular food-waste disposer is embedded with a motor of permanent magnet, with 2600 RPM speed, that rids your house of food leftovers in a jiffy. Its turntable galvanized sleeve-type bearings make for fast waste elimination as also its swivel impellers and seal stopper made of stainless steel that work to aid the disposal process. The model is easy to assemble and requires no batteries for its operation.
InSinkErator’s 1.0 HP Evolution Excel Garbage Disposer
Fabricated with a durable 1HP induction motor, this instant waste grinding device comes embedded with many advanced modern mechanisms incorporated for high performance and service quality. Its SoundSeal technology provides noise insulation, while its MultiGrind feature offers multiple grinding steps for effectual garbage disposal. A limited seven-year warranty accompanies the package and takes care of repairs and maintenance during that duration.
Waste King’s 3/4 HP Legend Series L-3300 Garbage Disposer
With an EZ- mounting innovative mechanism to install the device easily onto your kitchen sink, this machine comes with numerous sophisticated features that include a heavy-duty waste grinding gear, powerful Vortex technology-embedded motor, constant-feed disposer, stainless steel swivel impeller as well as rust-proof grinding chambers. All these advanced features serve to enhance the disposer’s durability and dependability.
Waste King’s Knight 1.0 Disposer A1SPC Garbage Disposal
A quick-working waste disposer from leading brand, Waste King, this model is built-in with a silencer technology that features the same material which makes music studios sound-proof. Fitted with a powerful 2700 RPM motor, the device features a snap and lock mounting system that makes it rather easy to use.
Waste King’s 1/3 HP L-111 (Legend Series)
Yet another model from Waste King, this waste disposer works with a high-speed 1900 RPM motor and can be installed very conveniently. Its key attractive specifications consist of easy-to-clean detachable splash guard, 36” long power cord and a compact size that makes it space-effective and fits small homes easily.
Waste King 1 HP Legend Series 9980
Undoubtedly topping the list is a Waste King model, this time with a powerful 1 horsepower motor, and is compact as well as robust with highly functional features. A reliable model with detachable splash guard included in the offer, this unit guarantees easy cleaning and effective ridding of food leftovers from your home and surroundings.
Garbage Disposal Buying Guide
Dealing with food waste is always nasty to do but it is a must because it naturally and gradually accumulates over time and if you don’t do anything about it, your place will become very messy. A perfect way to get over this issue is to get yourself a garbage disposal system. Getting a proper solution is never easy and it’s even harder if you have no prior knowledge whatsoever. But this guide is here to help you out and I certainly hope it will be able to deliver the information properly. That being said, it’s time to begin!
There are 2 different work regimes to consider here:
- Batch feed
- Continuous feed
We will dedicate some space to both of them in the following lines.
- Batch feed garbage disposals: In order for this type of garbage disposals to work properly, the unit needs to be up and running at the moment when you engage the disposal lid. This adds an additional (and very important) layer of safety so the risk of causing harm from unwanted objects getting into the disposal and/or the children hurting themselves is very minimal. The batch feed garbage disposals are not cheap and you will need a solid amount of money to be able to afford one but the fact that they have many different and complex grinding options as well as the fact that they don’t create noise while they are working both make up for that just perfectly.
- Continuous feed garbage disposals: This type of garbage disposals is activated by a switch. It will start working from the moment when you activate the switch all the way to the moment when you decide to deactivate it. This is an ideal type for dealing with large amounts of waste and it should definitely be purchased for such occasions.
- Garbage Disposal Motor Size: The amount of horsepower is an essential parameter to consider as that is what dictates how strong the engine is and more importantly – how far can your garbage disposal really go and what is its actual capacity. The bare minimum for standard needs in a typical home is ⅓ horsepower. This is good enough for casual users who don’t use their garbage disposals all the time and every day but they want them to do their job effectively. Smaller households are perfect for this kind of engines.
If you are a more advanced customer and if you are dealing with bigger amounts of junk on a daily basis, your best bet is to choose an engine that ranges between ¾ and 1 horsepower. The bigger the horsepower is, the more complex waste can be processed as well, that is the general rule. Things like bones, for example, cannot be disposed of properly if the engine provides low horsepower.
Garbage Disposal Features
- Quiet Operation: The more silent the garbage disposal is, the better the experience. Low-end models are usually very noisy but all of the more expensive ones have additional filters and rubbers to reduce the noise to undetectable levels. Surely, you can’t expect “music for the ears” but it is certainly much better than the loud awful noise that is wrecking your ears for hours on end.
- Anti-jamming feature: Even though any design is crafted to prevent this from happening, jamming is still fairly often found which is why many models have additional features to prevent that from happening. Most commonly, there will be a button you need to press to “release” the piece of waste that is stuck but some high-end models offer specific anti-jamming circuitry. This feature automatically detects when the jamming occurs and thus resets on its own accordingly.
- Stainless steel material: As in many other circumstances, stainless steel is the best material when it comes to garbage disposals as well. The corrosion is minimal and the longevity is the best as well. Stainless steel offers the highest quality out of all materials too.
- Dishwasher Connector: By having one or more connectors, you will be able to connect your garbage disposer to a dishwasher. It is extremely practical because not only that you won’t need to rinse the dishes on your own before using the dishwasher, the whole process is much shorter as well.
Garbage Disposal Do’s & Don’ts
When dealing with garbage disposals, there is a certain number of things that you should do in order to keep it running smoothly for a long time and there are also things that you should avoid at all costs because they may wreck havoc on your system. I tried to come up with a small list of things for both of these categories so let’s dig into it.
Things to do
- You should always make sure that you are using cold water before you deal with garbage disposals, during the time when it is up and running and after you turn it off. Cold water is essential for its good functioning.
- Always grind small bones to keep the grind chamber scoured.
- Make sure to keep your garbage disposal fresh whenever that is possible. I would recommend using a combination of citrus peels, deodorizer, and a disposal cleaner.
- Each and every time before you turn on your garbage disposal make sure to clean the sink from any remaining of previously processed waste.
- Make sure to activate the garbage disposal every time when you put any food in it because, otherwise, you may end up having a significant corrosion that is a result of the remaining food acids.
Things NOT to do
- Always avoid using the hot water, especially when the disposal is still active.
- Don’t put any grease and/or fats into your disposal because it may end up malfunctioning after a very short time period.
- In case you have a septic tank, never grind any shellfish nor the tobacco.
- Never put your fingers into the disposal while it is up and running.
- If you don’t have an expensive high-end model, chances are – you will not be able to process any “complex” waste. So if that’s really the case, stick to regular and soft food wastes (fruits, vegetables, and tiny bones) and avoid food (wastes) with a high amount of fiber and large bones.