Hassled by the hefty fines placed on you for crossing the speed limit? A very handy device that checks whether your driving speed is being watched by those police radar guns, working on the principle of Doppler Effect, is the radar detector. They effectively assist you in slowing down to avoid a speeding ticket. Furthermore, they enable you to know when you’re over speeding so you can slow down and drive safely.
Check out the top 10 models of radar detectors that preside over the current market by virtue of their sophisticated, advanced features and efficient performance standards.
Latest Best Selling Radar Detectors
Last update on 2021-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Cobra’s XRS9370 Radar Detector
Ranking 10th in the list is the XRS9370, a reasonably priced radar detector that offers sleek aesthetics and a good- enough performance. The major selling points of this model comprise of long range radar/laser band detection, advanced warning via a quick-sweep electrical system, city/highway switch to filter false alerts and VG-2 radar surveillance detection. This detector adopts an UltraBright display for easy-read with clever band identifying icons.
Escort’s Passport 9500IX Radar/Laser Detector
This superior performance model offers you valuable service by detecting both LIDAR and the four principal radar bands. It features a high-resolution simple blue readout, with sharp and clear audible alerts, while its intelligent AutoLearn technology automatically filters and analyses frequency signals. After about a week, this clever device eliminates almost all false signals along your route. The device is also integrated with Defender Database to include potential threat locations which don’t possess detectable signals, such as red-lights cams, speed cameras as well as speed trap zones.
Cobra’s ESD7570 Radar/Laser Detector
This simple, budget model from Cobra is the right choice for those who don’t want to dig too deep into their pockets for a radar detector and can satisfactorily make-do with its not-so-vast features. Nevertheless, this machine will not disappoint as it provides you with 360° laser signal coverage, safety precautions to drivers, like alerts for road threats and nearby emergency automobiles, as well as specific surveillance VG-2 and Spectre alerts. The model is also equipped with two filter modes that reduce false signals picked based on your location.
Valentine’s One Rugged Radar Detector
This high-end radar detector comes well-fitted with numerous futuristic features which include X, Ka, K & super wide- band Ka detection. Its upscale specifications include 360° coverage, manifold radar antennae that enhance strength, precision and detection range, as well as laser detection. This clever device will also inform you of the number of radar units in range, signal strength as well as signal band.
Cobra’s XRS9470 Radar/Laser Detector
A more upgraded version of XRS9370, embedded with new and improved features including voice alert option, this model announces messages so you can keep your eyes fixed on the road, for safe driving. It can also detect POP Radar guns, Ku Band Radars, VG-2 and Spectre I/IV plus.
Escort’s Passport 8500X50 Black Radar Detector
This model undeniably ranks among the top 5 with its high-class performance, affordability and intuitive controls. Coming with 360° complete laser coverage, all-band protection, display brightness control, mute as well as sensitivity features control – this radar detector is most definitely a delight. Also, it does not need any additional calibration, and is fully equipped with an in-built traffic sensor rejecter and Auto Sensitivity processing modes to reduce false alerts.
Escort’s Passport HD Max 2 Radar Detector
Yet another esteemed Escort model to feature in the list, this radar detector doesn’t just save you from speeding tickets but also proactively assists you in driving safely. The model comes fully integrated with Bluetooth & GPS, with a breakthrough digital signal processing mechanism. A vibrant multi-colour OLED monitor provides easy display, while its over speeding alert, with a user- configured maximum speed activates upon reaching that particular speed level. This device also comes in-built with a Defender Database equipped with thousands of speed cams, speed traps as well as red- light cam locations. The database can be updated regularly with extra subscription fees.
Whistler’s CR90 Laser Radar Detector
The CR90 is a handy, GPS- implemented functional radar detector with vocal alerts which enable you to keep your eyes constantly glued on the road as well as informs you of your driving speed. With its built-in GPS, the device effectively alerts you to speed traps, speed cams and red- light cams in the vicinity. The alarm begins with a quiet beeping that escalates into a large alarm if you fail to respond to the warning within five seconds. This feature will especially curb reckless driving and keep you alert as well as safe on the road.
Beltronics’ RX65 Professional Series Radar Detector
This simple, user- friendly radar detector delivers to you three sensitivity controls- City, Highway and AutoScan- with the highway mode being least discriminatory, the AutoScan mode using digital signal processor for false alarms and City mode removing the X-band that likely creates the most false alerts. This model is high suited to those people who have newly ventured into the field of radar detecting.
Beltronics’ Pro 500 Radar Detector
The choicest model in the market with GPS incorporated, this device detects 3 radar bands effectively, namely- K, X &Ka- along with LIDAR. This radar detector features 360° laser range via its many sensor diodes, as well as GPS that comes preset with numerous speed cam and red-light cam locations that don’t give off radar signals.
Radar Detectors Buying Guide
Let’s admit it, we all had those moments where we drove faster than we should have and we knew that we were risking getting caught by the police. Now, this article will certainly not encourage nor give tips on how to effectively dodge the cops whenever you speed your way along the road but it will help you out in choosing the best radar detector for your car. This practical device will allow you to detect the presence of the police officials (or their radar guns, if we want to be precise) so that you can regulate and modify your speed according to the public traffic regulations. With so many different radar detectors, it is no wonder why even the experienced buyers may end up being clueless about what solution to go for. Fear not, we are here to help you. Let’s get to the real deal right away!
Important factors when buying a radar detector
The very first thing that you need to determine is how much you are willing to pay for your radar detector. In most cases, a bigger price will mean a bigger quality as well. But you will not be able to get a high-end solution if your budget is low and/or limited. That being said, you can get some truly amazing solutions for a relatively small amount of money as well (if you know what you’re looking for). The list of features is the next important factor to consider. Will you end up being satisfied with a standard radar detector with some very basic features or you need a more advanced solution with additions such as the GPS or the ability to give out voice commands (for example)? These two things need to be set properly before proceeding further. Google is your friend, use it wisely to look for different radar detectors and that will likely help you to shape the offer that you are looking for.
The types of Radar Detectors
There are 2 basic types of radar detectors on the market today. They are quite different from one another and which one should be purchased mainly depends on the buyer’s personal preferences. Right now, we will describe the basic attributes of each type and, of course, you will be the one who brings the final judgment (depending on your own needs).
- Digital radar detectors: Digital detectors are very basic solutions but even with that being said, they are commonly used by thousands of satisfied customers. These models properly deliver when it comes to their standard function – they are able to detect radar guns used by the police authorities and you will know when and if you need to adjust your driving speed to avoid paying the unnecessary fines. If you just want a simple radar detector without the modern additions, this is the right type for you. The downside, however, is that digital radar detectors are not able to detect the laser guns. And on top of that, they miss some features that really make your life much easier. But if you don’t drive every day and if you just don’t have money or the ambitions to get more out of your radar detector, this is still a good investment that will do its job properly.
- Laser radar detectors: These radar detectors are much more expensive and they have more to offer as well. Not only that they are able to detect the classic radar guns, they can also detect the laser guns as well and they have plenty of integrated add-on features that the digital models miss. If you are a frequent traveler and if you want a detector that keeps up with the latest technological aspects, it’s definitely worth spending additional money for a quality solution like this one.
Notable brands of Radar Detectors
Just like with everything else, this niche also has some notable brands that represent a guaranteed quality. Although some of these products are aimed at people with basic needs and some other ones at people that want more than just a basic radar detector, you will not make a mistake by choosing any of the following manufacturers!
- Cobra: The first brand on our list is also the most popular one among the buyers for quite some time (and for a good reason). Their assortment is very diverse and you can find both the cheaper and the more expensive offers. One of their products that really caught my attention is a radar detector that is able to synchronize and “cooperate” with one’s iPhone. It requires a Bluetooth connectivity feature and it works perfectly on Android. It has all the latest commodities of the modern detectors such as the ability to detect red light cameras, various obstacles on the road, and even the dangerous curves as well. But even if you are just looking for a standard radar detector without the bonus features, Cobra has some truly amazing basic models as well. If you want quality, Cobra should certainly be the first brand that needs to be considered.
- Whistler: Whistler is yet another strong contender that has to be considered very seriously. Just like Cobra, this brand offers all kinds of different models that range from the cheap ones (with just the basic features) all the way to the expensive high-end models with plenty of different additional features like the remote control and even a digital compass. The most impressive feature that I found in one of their more expensive offers is a cloaking device. This thing is able to effectively detect every single type of laser guns, including the “silent” ones. Pretty awesome, isn’t it? Whistler is a great choice both for the basic users and the expert ones.
- Escort: The third and the last major brand on our list is Escort. Unlike the previous 2, I think this brand is more suitable for people who drive their cars very often and who have a reasonably large budget. They have some truly amazing models with features like an on-screen GPS, and even an iPhone detector as well. If you wish to see all that they have in store, make sure to check out their catalog online!
The list of additional features associated with radar detectors is truly one of a kind. One of the most common and certainly one of the most practical additions is the GPS system that can easily track your location while giving you a realistic interactive mini-map to help you out while driving. But that’s not all! The modern radar detectors are also able to detect dangerous obstacles on the road, curves that need to be properly drifted through, and even some nasty intersections. The voice command add-on is a very popular choice among enthusiastic buyers as is the iPhone/iPad detection feature. If you are just looking for a basic model, none of this really concerns you. You will certainly get a quality solution that will do its job properly. But if you want to get the most out of your radar detector, it’s definitely worth spending additional money to get a model that has at least one of the mentioned bonus features.
On top of that, you may also want to check out some accessories as well. In some cases, you will need to buy the installation kits to use them properly (if they are not included otherwise).
Although getting a proper radar detector can be very difficult regardless of your experience, once you get it, you will see just how much it makes your whole life easier. Not only that it is able to detect radar/laser guns used by the law-and-order officials, some models offer plenty of additional features that include the detection of various dangerous hazards on the road, tricky curves and risky intersections, and some of them are even able to detect iPhones and iPads!
As a potential buyer, you should determine how much you are willing to pay and what you want your radar detector to do. If you are satisfied with the basic functions and if you are driving frequently, you will have plenty of standard models to choose from and they will all satisfy your needs just perfectly. On the other hand, if you wish your radar detector to have some additional features, you will need to spend some extra bucks but you will get a top-quality solution that is up to the latest technological trends and a solution that will raise your driving comfort to a whole new level.
Once you sort that out and once you have the needed information, you are ready to go out and start your buying adventure. I certainly wish you luck!